No, I still haven’t seen any charismatic wildlife. I spent most of the last two days painting the Kootenays in the background of my last Arches elephant sheet (30 x 41 in.) in order to “fire-draw” the foreground burn with a woodburning iron. However, I’d have to say it is only really noticeable as burned paper up close. From a distance it looks like plain old dark paint. Much as I like saying the media are “watercolor and pyrography” I’m not sure it’s worth the additional time, patience and fumes.
I also tried writing with the woodburning iron, with some fairly nice results. I made a small study of a box construction with a burn photo in the back and a front scrim of burned-through letters out of vellum. This would be more compelling large when you could see through the letter shapes more easily.
One of the reasons the Kootenay pyrography was so time-consuming is how bumpy and heavy watercolor paper is. So next up I’m going to try tea-staining some soft, unsized BFK Rives printmaking paper before drawing on it with the iron.
I’m getting a little — dare I say it — burned out!